During my recent Christmas family get-together, I had a chance to watch the habits of some of my relatives. One of my relatives drives a Prius and does recycle plastics/glass/newspaper. But I was kind of surprised at what she does waste and how much garbage she generates. The dishes have to be washed before they are put in the dish washer and she goes through aluminum foil and ziplock bags like crazy.
I myself just downsized from a gas guzzler to a smaller, more fuel efficient car; I built an enclosure for my compost and started using it; I rewash my ziplock bags and try my hardest to bring my own shopping bags ALL of the time. (got the grocery store down but not the other shopping.) I try to buy locally and bring used clothes to organizations who redristribute them.
I'm working on making my whole life more green and I hadn't occured to me that some people are willing to go only part of the way. I am not complaining because if everyone made even that much effort, we'd still be better off.
No comments:
Post a Comment